|[Registered Qual & Unit Std Home page] [Search Qualifications] [Search Unit Standards]|
|All qualifications and part qualifications registered on the National Qualifications Framework are public property. Thus the only payment that can be made for them is for service and reproduction. It is illegal to sell this material for profit. If the material is reproduced or quoted, the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) should be acknowledged as the source.|
|SOUTH AFRICAN QUALIFICATIONS AUTHORITY|
|Certificate: Chemical Laboratory Assistant|
|SAQA QUAL ID||QUALIFICATION TITLE|
|21139||Certificate: Chemical Laboratory Assistant|
|PRIMARY OR DELEGATED QUALITY ASSURANCE FUNCTIONARY||NQF SUB-FRAMEWORK|
|QCTO - Quality Council for Trades and Occupations||OQSF - Occupational Qualifications Sub-framework|
|National Certificate||Field 10 - Physical, Mathematical, Computer and Life Sciences||Physical Sciences|
|ABET BAND||MINIMUM CREDITS||PRE-2009 NQF LEVEL||NQF LEVEL||QUAL CLASS|
|Undefined||120||Level 4||Level TBA: Pre-2009 was L4||Regular-Provider-ELOAC|
|REGISTRATION STATUS||SAQA DECISION NUMBER||REGISTRATION START DATE||REGISTRATION END DATE|
|LAST DATE FOR ENROLMENT||LAST DATE FOR ACHIEVEMENT|
|In all of the tables in this document, both the pre-2009 NQF Level and the NQF Level is shown. In the text (purpose statements, qualification rules, etc), any references to NQF Levels are to the pre-2009 levels unless specifically stated otherwise.|
This qualification does not replace any other qualification and is not replaced by any other qualification.
|PURPOSE AND RATIONALE OF THE QUALIFICATION|
|The certificate course qualifies the student for a position as a Laboratory Assistant in most industries. The course is designed for students who have no knowledge of chemistry but who have an interest in this field.|
|LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE AND RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING|
|Std 9 (Grade 11) or equivalent.
Recognition of prior learning:
Exemptions may be given on previous qualifications, age and work experience.
This qualification may be achieved in whole or in part through the recognition of prior learning
|RECOGNISE PREVIOUS LEARNING?|
|Open learning principles of continuous assessment are applied. On successful completion of this course, the student will receive the Intec Certificate in Chemical Laboratory Assistant. This qualification may be achieved in whole or in part through the recognition of prior learning|
|EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES|
|1. Identify and solve problems in which responses display that responsible decisions using critical and creative thinking have been made.
2. Work effectively with others as a member of a team, group, organisation and community.
3. Organise and manage oneself and one's activities responsibly and effectively.
4. Collect, analyse, organise and critically evaluate information.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the world as a set of related systems by recognising that the problem solving context does not exist in isolation.
6. Reflect on and explore a variety of strategies to learn more effectively.
7. Explore education and career opportunities.
8. Develop entrepreneurial opportunities.
9. Communicate effectively using visual, mathematical and language skills in the modes of oral and/or written persuasion.
10. Demonstrate effective and responsible decision making.
11. Stimulate and develop thinking patterns involving creativity.
12. Interpret information received via the media and other sources.
13. Use technology effectively and responsibly.
14. Conduct research independently.
|ASSOCIATED ASSESSMENT CRITERIA|
|1. Problems are solved by means of exploring and critically evaluating abstract and personal situations.
2. Problems are solved by generating alternative strategies for dealing with those problems.
3. Collaborative work as part of a team, group, organisation or community is effective.
4. Organisation and management of self and activities is responsible and effective.
5. Information is collected, analysed, organised and critically evaluated.
6. Recognition of the problem solving context is demonstrated.
7. Understanding of the world as a set of related systems is demonstrated.
8. Strategies to learn more effectively are explored and reflected on.
9. Education and career opportunities are explored.
10. Entrepreneurial opportunities are developed.
11. Communication using visual, mathematical and language skills in the modes of oral and/or written persuasion is effective.
12. Decision making is responsible and effective.
13. Creative thinking patterns are stimulated and developed.
14. Information from the media and other sources is interpreted.
15. Technology is used effectively and responsibly.
16. Research is conducted independently.
Specific Associated Assessment Criteria:
Continuous assessment in the form of self-assessment is carried out by the learner. This is done using activities and self-evaluation exercises. Continuous assessment is also carried out by the facilitators in the form of assignments that the learner must submit upon completion of each module of the learning programme.
Formative and summative assessment are integrated in a final portfolio assessment. The learner builds up a portfolio of activities, self-evaluation exercises, assignments and projects which are assessed in order to determine whether the learner has achieved the exit level outcomes of the qualification.
|Students can advance to the Intec Analytical Chemistry Diploma or Intec Industrial Chemistry Diploma courses and be exempted from certain subjects.|
|Where professional or statutory bodies are involved in determining the curriculum, they will be involved in moderation.|
|CRITERIA FOR THE REGISTRATION OF ASSESSORS|
|Our own staff will be used as assessors in a manner accommodated within the quality management system of the institution. This would apply to outside assessors also as they will have to comply with all quality assurance procedures of the institution.|
|As per the SAQA Board decision/s at that time, this qualification was Reregistered in 2006; 2009; 2012; 2015.|
|LEARNING PROGRAMMES RECORDED AGAINST THIS QUALIFICATION:|
|PROVIDERS CURRENTLY ACCREDITED TO OFFER THIS QUALIFICATION:|
|This information shows the current accreditations (i.e. those not past their accreditation end dates), and is the most complete record available to SAQA as of today. Some Primary or Delegated Quality Assurance Functionaries have a lag in their recording systems for provider accreditation, in turn leading to a lag in notifying SAQA of all the providers that they have accredited to offer qualifications and unit standards, as well as any extensions to accreditation end dates. The relevant Primary or Delegated Quality Assurance Functionary should be notified if a record appears to be missing from here.
|1.||Damelin Correspondence College|